.

Discount Golf Tee Times

Friday, March 10, 2006

Correcting my stance

I never knew it, but I have a tendency to stand on the outside of my feet. It's not that I'm bow-legged or anything, I guess I'm just funny that way.

Anyway, one thing my con-man instructor actually did for me way back when (about a year ago) was to point that out. In my stance, I was putting most of my weight on the outer edge of my feet, especially my right foot. He noticed it and literally put a wedge under the outside of my right foot and had me swing the club that way to feel what it "should" feel like. What a difference such a small change can make.

Ever since then, when I set up to the ball, I consciously put most of my weight on the inside of my right foot and more balanced on my left. It really feels like a more athletic stance and allows me to push off with more power and it has definitely had an impact on my ball striking and distance. It keeps me more balanced throughout the swing and helps with a full finish.

Does your stance feel athletic?

Next post.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

I would say my weight is on the inside of both feet for the most part. I have heard also that on the backswing try to keep the weight, at all times, on the inside of the rear foot..for that extra push.

Greg said...

I was told that recently as well. I'll have to consiously think about that next time I'm at the range and see how it feels and what kind of results I get.

-Greg

Anonymous said...

Mostly on the balls of my feet I'd say.

Golfchick said...

Hi Eldon,

Glad you like it!
I added your site to my links list. :)

-Kristen